Listen to Jim: http://www.jimreedbooks.com/mp3/itwasthebestoftimes.mp3
or read on…
Now that the world has ended and re-booted,
now that the New Year is well on its way to where nobody knows,
thoughts slippery & elusive & sublime & silly sift their way through my head.
They defy classification.
Here are some droppings…
1. Today the air is as thin as polished glass.
2. If I feel good, that means I’m not appreciating those who are suffering. If I feel bad, I am ignoring the joy and pleasures that can be found in the worst of situations.
3. Hosiery is important. For some the joy of sox is all there is.
4. Successful politicians are often merely the most skilled and persistent bullies on the block.
5. “The unjust get honors when they right their wrongs.” –Sally Ride
6. I spent time this morning being attacked on the Web. Damned spider keeps building across my path.
7. Every day on the way to work, I pass all the Overseers of my life: the bank, the power company, the gas company, the water works.
8. That guy was certainly sober on life, wasn’t he?
9. At my age, all my irony is sated.
10. The newscaster pronounces the word decal as DECK-uhl.
DECK-uhl all with boughs of holly!
11. I met a guy whose name is Christian. He seemed pleasant.
Guess that makes him a good Christian boy—or a good-boy Christian.
12. The interviewer pronounces the word presage as PRESS-edge.
13. The vehicle in front of me throws messages in my face: KIA Pelham Alabama 61340A7 Sep 13 Sorenta EXV8 Riverchase KIA burgundy color metal antenna. What am I to do with this information? Another vehicle says IG EY Sweet Home Alabama apr 13 St. Rose Academy Birmingham Alabama Serra Toyota Sequoia Force V V8. Hieroglyphs!
14. My age and experience make me more open to experiences and people.
The field widens, the prospects narrow.
15. The interviewee says, “…ranging the full philosophical gambit.”
16. From the Library of Thought: What if shadows remained a constant size and people lengthened or contracted with the light?
17. We are conscious of things, but things are not conscious of us.
18. The reporter says, “…there are a flurry…”
19. Before I found my bliss in the Museum of Fond Memories, I tried jobs and jobs tried me.
20. Why do pilots fly planes? Can’t they drive them? Or steer them?
21. Lies beget lies.
22. Yellow is the only color I know that is yellow.
23. “Everytime I think of the past, it brings back memories.” –Stephen Wright
24. The hand-lettered sign says, “Taco cards read…”
25. The Fred’s Store signs says, Those wanting to purchase TABACCO must present IDs.” Must bring tobasco sauce?
24. Naughty insect portrait: Ant, misbehaving.
25. Something only gets to happen for the first time once.
26. Business article refers to “commander and chief…”
27. NPR reporter mentions Nobel Laureate Willy Brandt, pronounced NO-bull. Guess Brandt was a noble guy. Wonder if he ever won the no-BELL prize?
28. From the Library of Thought: What if the mirror contains the real world and we are merely avatars for the mirror people?
The world has ended, a new year begins and I still can’t stop my brain
(c) 2012 A.D. by Jim Reed